Monday

Watermelon Sorbet

As you know, the other day I went to a local fruit and veg market and got very excitable, coming home with arms full of summery fruit. It's not very sunny today so I decided to make a little sunshine of my own.

I mentioned in a previous post about how to cut out the crap in your diet (you can read it here) that you should make your own naughty food. OK, OK, it contains sugar, but its ten times better than you gorging your way through a giant tub of vanilla ;) And besides you have to be naughty sometimes. If you're like me you'll be really good for two weeks then get in bed with Ben and Jerry and be a VERY naughty girl. Instead I would rather have some tasty homemade treats stored away. They taste just as naughty as that two-some but they won't result in you falling off the cliff and tumbling into heaps of sweety wrappers and icecream tubs. So lets get making.

INGREDIENTS:
1 average sized watermelon (4lbs or 6 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp lime juice
1 radio station with your favourite tunes

METHOD:
I would suggest making this recipe when you have the whole day off and intend to make other treats too. The actual prep doesn't take any time at all, but you have to refrigerate it for quite a long time and check on it quite often. So get cosy in your kitchen, you're here for the long haul guys!

Turn on radio.
Chop the entire Watermelon.
Remove all the seeds.
Dance.
Put the sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, turn down the temp and simmer for 5 minutes.

This is my measuring cup for my recipes.  I feel it deserves a special mention...



Now take off the heat and leave it on the side to cool (this is when I would start making something in the meantime)
Now just transfer into a fridgeable tub and whack it in there for an hour.
Once your hour is up it's time to blend the watermelon, now I found that there was a ridiculous amount of liquid sloshing about when I was doing this so I blended it in bits.


 Next you have to sieve it, I won't lie to you this part of the process took so much time I think I may have lost some of my marbles in the process! 


 Once that's all done it's time to whisk the sugar syrup that you made earlier into the Watermelon and then put it into metal containers to be frozen. 
You're at the home straight now, all you have to do now is stir the frozen outer edge into the centre every half an hour until the consistency is just right! Here you can see it's nearly done....


 Mine has just reached that stage now and I just tasted a little bit. Oh its like a summery party in your mouth!


Now all I need is some sunshine and my girls!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...