Thursday

Not just any Cupcakes...

The other day I decided it was time for another slightly odd cupcake. Now don't go running for the hills, I'm not cuckoo...
You've heard of Carrot Cake, well I'd like to introduce you to Chocolate and Courgette Cake. 
The more you follow my adventures the more you'll notice that I tend to make cupcakes over the bigg'uns, that's purely because I am more likely to give away the occasional cupcake than I am a slice of cake. I don't know why, but thats just me! So to save myself from a scene Bridget Jones would be embarrassed to admit to I shall include the cooking times for one cake, or lots of little baby cakes!

Ingredients:
50g cocoa powder
500ml grated courgette (this is about two medium sized suckers)
175ml extra-virgin olive oil
375g golden caster sugar
140g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (on this occasion I didn't include them)
3 eggs
350g self raising flour
1tbsp mixed spice
2tbsp vanilla extract

For the Icing:
200g dark chocolate, chopped
100ml double cream

Right pre heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
Grab a bowl and combine the flour, cocoa powder, mixed spice and 1tsp of salt.
In another bowl you'll need the olive oil, sugar, eggs, courgette and vanilla essence. Now mix the two together and then fold in the hazelnuts.

Line your tins with greaseproof paper, or get your multicoloured cupcake holders at the ready. Then pour in the mixture!

Cooking time for one cake 40-50 mins
                            cupcakes 20-25 mins and then check

Icing time!
Slowly bring the cream to the boil, and then pour over the chopped chocolate.
Get stirring until smooth and totally melted. Put this to one side to cool slightly and then put a lovely generous layer on to your cake.

GREEDY NOTE:
If you're making the cupcake versions, there's more than enough icing for the cakes and a few spoonfuls for yourself!


And here they are!

 


 Word of Warning! These are super yummy, however looks can be deceiving. These look like they're gonna be a glorious mouthful of pure chocolatey amaziness, BUT they're actually quite a complex flavour. The mixed spice totally changes the experience.
I learnt the hard way to mention this to my friends, all my friends lovedlovedLOVED them, apart from R who was so shocked by the flavour and me admitting it had courgette in it, he threw a kiddy paddy and refused to finish his, meant I got more though :P He's made me promise to make him "just normal awesome chocolatey ones next" 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...